Saturday, July 22, 2017

Travel Journal - Day 8

   Day 8 and my journey is getting closer to the end. A few more days and we are coming back home. It would be a lie if I said that I didn't miss New York. I already did. People, who know me pretty well, know that I can't really leave New York for a long period of time. Around day 4-5 I start missing New York and people that I left there. But I have 2 more days in Dublin and I have to fill it up with activity.
   I had a few ideas where to go and what to visit on Day 8. Then my eye caught the email from Ryanair and notification that my complaining email to them about reimbursement was not delivered. I pressed life chat and decided to postpone my discoveries until I figure this situation out. Usually, life chats are very helpful and very nice, you get the information you need to proceed, or by the end of the chat everything is already cleared out and somehow you already got your money back. Usually, but not this one. I was very descriptive about the problem I had. After asking me for the flight number the person's next question was so what's the problem. Seriously??? I was getting angry but copied the part from the beginning and pasted again. Believe me, it wasn't a language barrier. At least not on my end. He finally sent me the link to the application that I needed to fill out and mentioned that he can't 100% guarantee a refund. Ugh. You know the surveys they ask you to fill out after the end of the chat. He was so horrible, I didn't bother wasting my time on it. Anyway, after everything was filled out I left to explore Dublin.
    Before my trip to Dublin, I heard a popular belief that Dublin is one of the IT Capitals in the world. So my plan for today included visiting Google and Facebook, and the rest I would decide after. Apparently, Google building is considered the tallest building in Dublin. Well, you know how in NYC you can clearly see that it's Google building. The huge sign in the front won't let you miss it. You won't see anything like that here in Dublin. Very small, slightly visible sign says "Google docks". And that's it. The building is not very tall either, not the tallest in the way we New Yorkers understand it. Looks like Google here is very modest. Unfortunately, I was not able to get inside. Before going there I made a research online. Unless you have a business reason or a friend working there, you are not welcome. Spending a few more minutes there, staring at employees walking in and out of the building,  I decided to move on to my next destination. On my way, I kept meeting different Google employees. Do you know how I knew they were Google employees? They were all wearing colorful t-shirts that said "Google" on it. They wore it on top of their regular clothes, or some people carried their t-shirts in their hands. Exactly, for this reason, I now have unconfirmed t-shirt theory. I think, depending on what team you work for you get their color of the shirt. And you also obligated to wear it to work every day at the office. Again my google search of that theory didn't get any results. But I'm practically 99% sure it is true, at least here in Dublin. I kept walking and kept meeting more of Google employees on my way. Again people, who know me well, can say that I'm more anti-social rather than social. I'm not the one who would stop a person on the street and start talking to them. But it's Google and I decided to give it a try. I stopped a group of women in red t-shirts. I asked them if it was possible to receive the tour in Google. They seem a little annoyed but they said: "Sure!" I had a moment of hope. They continued: "If you have a business reason or you have a friend there, then you need to email your friend. We will invite you and give a presentation." It was clear they didn't plan on becoming my friends. It was a little upsetting that miracle didn't happen, and I a little overestimated how nice people can be. I kept walking towards Facebook, it was my next stop. When my google map showed me that I'm right there I got confused and made a circle looking for any sign or any kind of confirmation that it is Facebook. Except for the little "thumb up" sign in the window somewhere around 5th floor, there was nothing else. Facebook turned up to be even more modest than Google. I have another theory. It could be that the reason, they don't really show their buildings off, is that they don't want curious tourists like myself crowding around the building. Whoever needs to know where to go, they already do, others better don't.
    What I really like about Dublin is that there is water everywhere around the city and lots and lots of bridges. You can always stop and relax looking at the water and the view. And that's what I did to rest a little from all the walking. I had a few choices for my next destination. I could have gone to Museum or College or Library. But I chose Dublin Castle. It wasn't that far away and I've never been to the real Castle. And this one is still used for the official visits. I took the self-guided tour (student id saved me 1 euro again). It was very beautiful inside. Interesting and kind of disgusting fact I learned: In old times hygiene was not the thing. The showered like once a month and used rose water to hide the bad smell. Wigs and laces in them were not for beauty, they were mostly for the reason of lice and hiding lice bites. Most of the time when I was reading about it I was thinking that's not how imagined those beautiful times at all, and it all was kind of disgusting at the end. Most of the people died exactly from anti-hygiene and things they used for makeup and to cover smells and bites.
   That was the program for the Day 8. One more day closer to going home. New York, I miss you, darling. Can't wait to see you soon. :*
   

No comments:

Post a Comment