Thursday, July 20, 2017

Travel Journal - Day 6

    The day I had to leave London. All night it was raining. I'd like to think it was because London was sad to let me go. Finally, real London weather, not hot and humid disaster of the last couple days.
    I had to check-out from my Airbnb by 10 am. I still didn't know if it was possible for me to go to the London Bridge. I didn't wake up early, I would not be able to go there and come back. I thought I would get ready first, pack all my stuff and then I would decide what to do. I absolutely didn't want to miss my plane because I was lost somewhere on my way to the London Bridge. So after I got ready I thought: "It's London, who knows when I'll get a chance to get here again. London Bridge is kind of #mustdo." I googled how to get from the London Bridge to the London City Airport. Made screenshots of it. After that, I googled how to get from where I was to the London Bridge and started walking. Thanks G, you don't need the internet for GPS to work. On my way to London, I actually thought that I would not have any problems with knowing where to go there, I would kind of just feel home. And that's exactly how I felt. I was walking bypassing kindergarten and very cute market and it all felt like home. I got to the London Bridge with no problem. I have to say London Bridge was much more prosaic than I thought it would be, but it has 3 times more space for people to walk than the Brooklyn Bridge, for example. And the view to the Tower of London from there is breathtaking. Everything I thought it would be. Now I had to get to the airport. I saw a very much English man, putting his bag down and just staring towards the Tower of London. Maybe he was on his way to work or maybe he was taking a break from work, maybe he was sad or maybe he was just deeply in his thoughts. It looked exactly like the episode they would show in movies. By the way, when I'm New York I often feel like I am in the movie. In London, I felt more like I'm in the fairy tale. I watched the English men enjoying the view for a couple more minutes before I headed towards him to ask for direction to the subway station. He explained to me how to get to the subway and we wished each other a good day. I got to the airport using the subway in less than half an hour. I knew it was a good day, everything was going smoothly, except I forgot to download the boarding pass and could not connect to wifi. But I had no problem finding the desk and person to print it for me. Security check went smoothly too since I was prepared after last time and had all the liquids in zip locks already. I had plenty of time. I found the nice cafe, bought myself breakfast and coffee, and finally figured out the how to find the valid UK zip code so I can connect to the internet, I used the Airbnb one. I was working on the yesterday post and didn't even notice how 2,5 hours flew by. The gate number showed up right half an hour before the flight. Boarding went smoothly and we took off right when we supposed to. Snacks and drinks were served for free on the plane. If I could compare 2 days like pictures "find 10 differences", it would be very easy to find them. Bravo, British Airlines! You are the best. If you ever have a choice between slightly cheaper Ryanair and a little more expensive British Airline, believe me, choose British one, you will save yourself your nerves and money actually too.
     The rest of the day was decided to use for rest: finishing the post, talking to family, boyfriend, and friends, sleeping. I woke up hungry, went to have the dinner in the hotel bar, which serves actually a really good food. Bogdan was at drinks with coworkers. I came back to finish the post, I was editing it when I noticed something moved. Mouse? No, can't be. In half an hour, she decided to dance around a little bit more. I was freaking out. Texted Bogdan, he said to call reception. I was actually questioning my sanity when this shameless mouse decided to move under my bed. That was it, I called reception, no one picked up. I went downstairs. The receptionist seemed even more scared than I was. She called for 2 guys and we came back upstairs, they checked everything, the mouse was hiding now. She offered to move to a different room. We also got that day for free and a lot of apologizing on top of it.
     So note to myself, never think: "hmm, that was actually a good day and nothing bad happened." 100% guarantee, something bad is going to happen a second later.
     Summarizing my London trip, I would never think I can travel anywhere with one backpack and wear same jeans for 3 days. I left London wanting to come back again soon. So I won't say I can cross this city off the list now because there is so much more I want to see and explore there. It is still my #1. And I hope I will get a chance to come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment